Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hairy Monster

Well, today Jim and I went to the OB/GYN office to get a growth scan done. The doc is concerned that I might have an unusually large child cause my measurements seemed a bit large. Yay. Just what I wanted. A huge baby. Woo.

During the scan they confirmed that not only could I possibly have a monstrous beast of a baby, it will be a hairy monstrous beast. Yep, that's right, you heard it here first. Our baby has quite a bit of hair according to the tech who did the scan. It doesn't really surprise me though. I have been told that I had tons of hair at birth as well. Plus, a good portion of my relatives on my dad's side are hairy, and Jim says (but claims not to remember saying it) his relatives are kinda hairy sooo....I'm guessing it was a good thing that we are having a boy and not a girl. Being a hairy girl is not fun, take it from me. :D

I'm not really sure why they did the scan. I have heard that they aren't very accurate and can cause false alarm. And after getting one done I would have to agree with that statement. They can only guess at the poundage of our baby, which she was saying was anywhere from 6-8 pounds at the moment. Well, that leaves quite a wide gap from normal-sized baby to holy-cow-edna-get-out-the-harpoon-we-are-having-us-a-whale-tonight huge. So, I'm not really sure why you would even bother to have it done.

3 comments:

JMadd said...

From experience, I can say that those scans are not accurate. I was told 5 weeks before Maggie's due date that she already weighed 8 lbs. She only weighed 8 lbs at birth 4 weeks later. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Jim and Becky said...

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel about it. I"m hoping the doctor doesn't try to to push me into a C-section because he "thinks" I might be having a big baby. I would rather just try to have it naturally first.

Karen Decker said...

Happy Birthday Baby!! Welcome to the world today at 7:37 pm. :)