Monday, August 6, 2012

The Case of the Mistaken Identity



Exhibit A
I have a little tootsie roll shaped pillow that I like to sleep with so my arms don't fall asleep at night (see Exhibit A). If I don't sleep with it then my arm goes numb and I will inevitably touch my face with my deadened hand. Then, in my sleep induced stupor, I will think some strange person is trying to attack me which sends me into battle mode, where I will attempt to shred the face of my attacker. I've given myself some pretty impressive battle wounds because of this. I'm not really sure how come it's only when my own hand, and not Jim's, touches me that I go berserk and scratch the crap out of my poor unsuspecting arm, otherwise I'm sure that Jim would also have a few scars from my midnight escapades.
Exhibit B

Anyway, you might be wondering what this has to do with my son Johnathon, as I'm sure you've noticed that there is also a picture of him here, and I am about to get to that.

Johnathon really likes to be swaddled, as I'm sure most little babies do (see Exhibit B). He's really strong, so you have to swaddle him really, really tight or he'll just escape and start whining because he's not swaddled anymore. We call him "The Great Johndini" because he's our little escape artist. So, as you can see in exhibit B he's all bundled up and he looks like a little larva.

Side by side comparison
Ok, now to reveal what Johnathon and my dumb little pillow have to do with each other. I've been really tired since Johnathon has joined the family. Like most babies, he keeps his parents up all night screaming and crying and wanting food or needing his poopy diaper changed. Jim and I have been camping out in the living room with him cause I can't get up out of the bed easily since my surgery. Jim sleeps on the floor and I sleep on the couch all snuggled up to my stupid little pillow. Some time in the middle of the night I will wake up for no reason and take a look at my little pillow and pat it's "back" and say nice things to it. Then I will wake Jim up and tell him to put Johnathon back in his bassinet. Jim will get up and grab my pillow like it's the baby. Right about then I become completely awake and I'm looking at Jim like he's lost his mind and wondering what the hell he's doing with my pillow. I can't tell you how many times this little scenario has played out in the living room at night. Too funny!

4 comments:

Karen Decker said...

Lol! I'm still laughing.

Amy said...

And here I was thinking you'd started to fall asleep on Jonathan by accident once. Still hilarious! Maybe Jim should just have a little placard ready to hand to you each of these times and remind you what you're doing. LOL!

Jim and Becky said...

Lol, I could definitely use the reminder!

Jim and Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.