Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey Day and the Lost Art Of Soup Making

I know this post is a touch late, but better late then never, I say. Jim and I invited my mom and dad over for thanksgiving (this is the second time I've cooked for thanksgiving). And I just wanna say, I fail at cooking sometimes...I don't know why, but cooking frustrates me, probably because I'm not terribly good at it. Well, I take that back. I'm good at certain dishes, others I seem to always mess up. So, with that being said, thanksgiving meal was headed for a mishap from the beginning.

I managed to get the turkey prepared with out calling my mom a zillion times ("Mom, there are these little things in bags that were stuffed inside the turkey...What exactly do I do with them?" etc.). I got it in it's little plastic turkey bag and sealed it up. Jim came to help me get it in the oven and the dummy stuck the bag to the heating element...Doh! Since that was my only turkey bag, I freaked out (plus our house started to smell like burning plastic). After a frantic call to my mom she informed me that I would have to do it the old-fashioned way - with tinfoil. However, she forgot to mention that I needed to put some water in it to keep it moist, and of course, being cooking challenged, I certainly didn't think of it myself. So, we ended up eating what appeared to be turkey leather...*sigh* Everything else turned out pretty good, all things considered (and I would like it to be known that I totally slaughtered everyone at monopoly and my mom and I annihilated Jim and my dad at spades). :D

Now, I may not know anything about cooking turkey, but one thing I am extremely good at is making homemade soup, completely from scratch. My grandma taught my mom, my mom taught me and hopefully one day I will get to teach my daughter. So, even though I may not look forward to making turkey dinner, I always look forward to what I can make after it's all done. I don't know about you, but my favorite soup in the whole world is turkey soup and since I only get it once a year I cherish every sip of it.

5 comments:

Huntsmans said...

just think of the turkey from a positive angle, now it will be good for a long time! jerky! and as for the soups, I would love to have some good ol' fashioned soup sometime.

Jim and Becky said...

Seriously, I felt as if I was eating jerky too...It was tough and I practically needed a chainsaw to cut it into bite sized pieces. LOL. And, just for the record, homemade soup is really easy, just time consuming.

-Special Mothertivity- said...

That is too funny! I'm sure your turkey wasn't that bad. Now you know how to do it the old fashion way next time, water included. :) I'm impressed with you. I don't even know how to make a turkey and am putting it off as long as I possibly can. I'm sure you all had a great time. I'm glad you live close to your parents so you could have them with you for Thanksgiving.

Karen Decker said...

OMG! Was I supposed to use a turkey bag? Tin foil? Our turkey turned out great and all we did was remove the giblets and stick it in the oven. I did baste it about two times using a spoon. Yummy! We have been eating turkey leftovers everyday since.
P.S. I have liked everything you have ever cooked for me.:)

Jim and Becky said...

Aww, that's so nice of you to say that. :D