Monday, November 24, 2008

"Christians"

I know I haven't blogged in a while, sorry. Nothing really exciting has been happening lately. And with winter approaching it's only bound to get worse. So, please bear with me. Winter is a hard season for me and sometimes it takes its toll on the best of us.

I've been contemplating a lot about a thousand different things lately and I feel compelled to write about something that really bothers me. I'm talking about hypocrites. And I find that most of the people that fall into this category are people that go to church and consider themselves "Christians". What's up with that? If you consider yourself to be a Christian and you only act like one when you are sitting in church then you have a problem. That would make you about as much of a Christian as sitting in a garage would make you a car.

Now, I know there is no such thing as perfection where humans are concerned, but if you think for one second that just because that's common knowledge and that you know God will forgive you for you sins and you go out with that in mind, continuing to purposely sin repeatedly then you are misinterpreting the bible. The point is to strive to be better and to continually evolve as a person, to make an effort.

Let's take young girls today for instance. Now, I'm not talking about those that are obviously troubled (i.e. those that don't dress modestly at all). I'm talking about those that supposedly "cover it up". I don't think that God meant modesty to mean only to "cover your body". I honestly believe that true modesty means to disguise your "charms" (if you catch my drift). By doing that you won't be a stumbling block for that man that looks at you and is suddenly not thinking much about his wife and two kids at home. Wearing clothes that are paper thin and like second skin is not modesty. If you have any imagination at all you could look at that girl and know exactly what she looks like naked. Would you consider that true modesty? Isn't the whole point of clothes to cover your nakedness, not to accentuate it?

Now, don't think I don't understand the pressure to fit in. I was a teenager too, and not that long ago either. But, does looking great for a boy do anything for God? No. Does wearing the latest paper thin fashions improve your relationship with God in any way? No. Often times the things in life that are fashionable don't do anything for us but bring us away from God.

I know that being religious and believing in God is not fashionable and never will be, as people aren't interested in anything but themselves these days. People are more concerned with self-gratification and what they can have right now. Even these so called Christians. For them, going to church is just to satisfy their fellow man, so that they appear to be "good" people. Having a relationship with God is more than the hour to couple hours you may spend in church. Your relationship with God should be full-time.

I could blog on this subject for hours, just ask Jim. I get really fired up about it. It is not my intention to offend, but more to enlighten. As children of God, we need to help lift up others that maybe stumbling along the path, be there for them when they may need it, so that they don't fall away from Christ or have a part-time relationship with Him. We need to set examples for those people, to show them that they can be close to God and still be a part of the world around them.

1 comment:

-Special Mothertivity- said...

I hear ya! Its crazy what a problem it is here in Utah.
You'd think people would live their religion... super frustrating to see so often.